I absolutely LOVE WordPress and find it the ideal CMS for the vast majority of my clients. However one piece I’ve always found really clunky is the media library. On December 11th the WordPress team has remedied this with the release of version 3.5 (codenamed “Elvin” after Coltrane’s excellent drummer Elvin Jones).
After choosing the updated “Add Media” button you’ll see a new view of the Media Library that fills your whole window and lets you scroll through all your assets in a single view (rather then going page by page like before). In addition there’s a column on the right side which holds all the meaningful information associated with an asset.
Here is a great video of the new features and improvements that Elvin will be bringing to the table:
See Video: http://wordpress.org/news/2012/12/elvin/
In addition to the new media manager interface, here are all the highlights.
New Media Manager
- Beautiful interface: A streamlined, all-new experience
- Create galleries faster with drag-and-drop reordering, inline caption editing, and simplified controls
- Insert multiple images at once with Shift/Ctrl+click
New Default Theme – Twenty Twelve
- Simple, flexible, elegant
- Mobile-first, responsive design
- Gorgeous Open Sans typeface
- Uses the latest Theme Features
- New Welcome Screen
- Retina-Ready (HiDPI) Admin
- Hide Link Manager for new installs
- Better accessibility for screenreaders, touch devices, and keyboard users
To download “Elvin” and get you’re site rocking for the new year click here . If you are a client, do not worry we will be updating all of our clients on our Digital Support Package over the next few days.
Topics: Demand Generation